Preventing a Garage Fire at Your Spring Lake, MI Home
This Spring Lake home was part of the statistic.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration and FEMA, there are 6,600 garage fires in homes every year, with the leading cause as electrical malfunction. The following are some prevention tips to keep your Spring Lake home safe from a garage fire:
- Store oil, gas, paint, propane, and varnishes in a shed or building away from your home.
- Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances.
- Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet.
- Do not use an extension cord when charging an appliance.
- A 20-minute fire-rated door that is self-closing and self-latching from the garage into the house.
- If you have living space above the garage - a ceiling made with 5/8-inch Type X gypsum board.
- If a wall attaches the garage to your home - a wall with 1/2-inch gypsum board.
- If you have attic access from the garage - an attic hatch cover.
- A heat alarm, not a smoke alarm, in your garage. The heat alarm will sound if the temperature rises too high.
If your home has experienced a garage fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today for an estimate, 616-396-8180
Lightning Safety for Allendale, MI Residents
National Lightning Safety Awareness Week: June 19-25, 2022
June 19-25th is National Lightning Safety Awareness Week. Back in 2001 it was started to call attention to lightning being an underrated killer. Since starting the week of awareness, U.S. lightning fatalities have dropped from roughly 55 per year to less that 30. It is believed that the reduction is largely due to greater awareness and people taking thunderstorms more seriously. During the week, challenge yourself to learn more about lightning and how to stay safe.
Lightning rods, and the accompanying protection system, are a way to keep your home safe from lightning. They are designed to protect a house or building from a direct lightning strike and, in particular, a lightning-initiated fire. Lightning protection systems do not prevent lightning from striking a structure, they intercept a lightning strike, providing a conductive path for the harmful electrical discharge that follows and disperses the energy safely into the ground. The components must be properly connected, or bonded, to minimize the chances for any sparks or side flashes to occur. Lightning rods protect a structure from direct lightning strike, but a complete protection system is needed to help prevent electrical surges and possible fires caused by lightning entering a structure via wires and pipes. Gas piping may also need lightning protection.
Lightning can enter a structure from three main ways: a direct strike, through wires or pipes that extend outside the structure, or through the ground. Once in a structure, lightning can travel the electrical, phone, plumbing, and radio/television reception systems. Lightning can also travel through metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
If your Allendale home has suffered a lightning-initiated fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180. We are Here to Help®
Pet Loving Ferrysburg, MI Residents - Fire Evacuation Plan For Your Home
Pets are a part of our families; make sure to include them in your fire evacuation plan.
According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA) 2021-2022 National Pet Owners Survey, seventy percent of U.S. households, or about 90.5 million families, own a pet. During a fire, your first priority is to get yourself and your family members our safely. Having a fire evacuation plan helps to keep you and your family a little more calm; and since our pets are a part of our families, don't forget to add them into your plan.
Preparation is key when it comes to protecting your pets in a fire. In case your pets are in an unsafe location that you or a family member can't get to during a fire, there are several things that you can do to better the chance of your pets rescue:
- Keep your pet in a room or area that is easily accessible to fire fighters.
- Update your pet alert window cling on the front window of your home.
- Put together a disaster supply kit just for your pets, including medications, food, and other dog supplies.
- Place important pet ownership documents and proof of vaccinations in a fire safe box that you can easily retrieve.
- Teach your pets the "Come" command so you can easily direct them towards you in an emergency.
If your Ferrysburg home has experienced a fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County for an estimate, 616-396-8180. We are Here to help®
Common Types Of Storm Damage In Robinson, MI
Has storm damage wreaked havoc on your property? SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County is Here to help®
Weather can be unpredictable and severe storms can come out of nowhere. When storms blow through Robinson, they bring all sorts of conditions with them. The following are a few basic types of damage a storm can cause to your home or business.
Strong gusts of wind can harm your house or business in different ways. It can lift shingles from your roof, leaving it exposed to the elements and further damage. Winds can also carry debris and when that debris comes in contact with your business or home at a high speed, it can cause cracks and holes in siding and windows.
Heavy rainfall can cause street flooding as well as flooding inside your home or business. Water wants to find the lowest point so it can find its way into your home from the ground level or a crack in your roof. Make sure to call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County if your home or business suffers from water damage to make sure it is mitigated properly.
Hail damage is difficult to identify the cause because the next day it melts away. Depending on the size of the hail, it can cause cracks and holes in siding, knock loose roofing materials, or shatter and chip windows.
If your home or business has suffered storm damage, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We're Here to help® 24/7
Common Mistakes Nunica Residents Make After A Water Damage
Make sure not to make these mistakes after a water damage in your home or business.
When experiencing a water damage in your home, many people's reaction would be to start cleaning the mess up themselves. As it is good to stop the source of water and remove excess water, the most critical mistake is handling everything on your own. Below are some common mistakes that homeowners make when a water damage happens in their Nunica home:
"I put a fan on it and have a dehumidifier running."
Many of our mold jobs come from a business owner or homeowner that decided to turn their water damage into a DIY project. SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County has technicians specifically trained in water restoration through the standards and best practices of The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). There is a science to drying, and SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County technicians are experts in it. They also use advanced commercial inspection and extraction equipment to dry and restore as efficiently as possible.
Waiting Too Long
Life is hectic, we understand; but when water damage affects your home, immediate action is key. The longer water sits, the more damage to your home. Taking care of the situation promptly can save you a lot of time, stress, and money.
Not Understanding Your Homeowners Policy
Many homeowners do not even know which insurance carrier they have, let alone know what is included in their policy. Make sure to get with your insurance agent before a disaster strikes to know what type of coverage you have. If you live in a high flood zone, you should consider adding flood insurance since that is normally not covered by your homeowners insurance. Also, if you have a sump pump, look into an endorsement, or rider, for a sump pump failure.
Do not make these mistakes. If you're dealing with a clean water damage, there are some tips that you can do while waiting for SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to arrive. Call us today, 616-396-8180
A Tree Fell On My Home In Zeeland, MI - Now What To Do?
Take the necessary steps when a tree falls on your home.
When a tree falls on your roof, or any part of your home, it can cause many problems. It can damage your home's structure, it exposes your home to the elements, and increases risk of other damage from electrical sources. The following are steps of who to call after a tree falls on your Zeeland, MI home.
- Make contact with necessary individuals - first you will want to call your insurance company to consider coverage. Then call a tree removal company, someone to tarp the roof, and a roofer. Lastly, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County if you need water mitigation inside your home.
- Remove tree - we are not able to address water issues inside the home until the damaged area of the roof is cleared.
- Tarp exposed areas - a fallen tree most likely will cause damage to the roof, leaving it exposed. To ensure outside elements do not get in and cause more damage, tarping temporarily protects your home so SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County can mitigate the water damage inside.
- Contact a roofing contractor - you can not leave your roof tarped forever. You will need to get with a roofing company to determine the next phase of repairs to your roof.
A fallen tree can cause a lot of damage and stress. The above steps can help ease that stress. Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180
Severe Wind Damage In Spring Lake, MI? SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County Can Help
Tips for protecting yourself during a power outage.
Spring Lake, MI can experience more severe winds than inward because of the proximity to Lake Michigan. Many of these wind storms can cause power outages. SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County responds to storm damage emergencies throughout the year. Below are some tips for protecting yourself during a power outage:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Use alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or power-dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
- Check on your neighbors.
If your home or business is damaged by wind or other severe weather, SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County has the equipment, training, and experience to help make it "Like it never even happened." Call us today, 616-396-8180
Power Bank Explosion in Grand Haven, MI Home
This burned windowsill and wall was caused by a portable power bank that exploded.
Our electronics, such as cellphones and tablets, are our lifelines. That's why demand for portable power banks has increased throughout the years, and can be found in many homes. This homeowner in Grand Haven did not realize that not all power banks are created equal and they can be very disastrous. While charging on the windowsill it exploded, catch fire, and then caught a second one on fire that was nearby. Luckily they were able to act fast to douse the fire before more damaged happened.
Poor circuit design is a main reason for explosions in power banks, as they are built with Li-ion batteries. Make sure to buy your power banks from a trusted brand and supplier. The following are some ways to prevent an explosion from happening:
- Keep your power bank cool - place in a cooler place, especially in the warmer months
- Do not overcharge your power bank - when it is full, disconnect it
- Do not charge your power bank when no one is home
- Do not drop, bump or squeeze your power bank - this may cause misalignment with internal parts or battery leakage
- Discard your power bank if it shows any signs of malfunction - bulging is a malfunction, dispose of safely (not in the trash) immediately
If your home or business has experienced a fire, big or small, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We are Here to Help®
Is Your Zeeland, MI Vacation Rental At Risk?
Make sure you know what is lurking in your short term rental property.
Tulip Time in Holland is quickly approaching, which will draw thousands of tourists into the area. If you own a short term rental in Zeeland, your property is at risk for unnoticed water damage or mold growth.
Pipe leaks and water damage can do undetected for a while if it is a slow leak. Make sure to check your property for water damage in the following areas, walls, bathrooms, under sinks, behind large appliances, around hoses, and faucets.
In damp environments, mold can grow very easily over time. We recommend walking through your property before welcoming new guests to check for any signs of mold. The most common places that mold can grow are cabinets, closets, behind/under furniture, small enclosed spaces, and dark/damp rooms.
If you find water damage or mold in your rental property, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County for an estimate, 616-396-8180
Sewage Backup Causes For Your Holland, MI Home
This basement bathroom was affected by a city sewer main backup.
Sewage backups can be an extremely devastating event that can happen to just about any business or home in Holland. There are three main reasons why you may experience a sewage backup.
- Clog - if you have a singular trouble area that experiences a backup, like a tub or sink, it most likely is a clog and can be fixed by cleaning the drain. If all drains in your home or business are backed up, there is a blockage at the main drain that is causing the issue. The overflow will continue and will cause extensive damage to your entire home or business until the blockage is removed.
- Tree Roots - roots of large trees in the area of a sewer line can often cause severe problems. They can grow into the pipes and cause holes and blockages. They can also wrap around the sewer line and crush it.
- Damaged Sewer Lines - older properties usually have older sewer lines that have not been upgraded. All pipes and sewer lines in older homes were built using cast iron and clay which can wear off with time, get rusty, and easily break down. New sewer lines are made out of plastic and cannot cause these issues.
Sewage backups can be hazardous to your health and cause a great amount of structural damage to your home or business. If you experience a sewage backup, do not attempt to flush the toilet. Do not use harsh chemicals to attempt to clear the drain. Leave the clearing and cleaning to the professionals, as SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County helps to ensure your damage is mitigated according to industry standards.
If you have experienced a sewage backup, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180, we are Here to help®