Cooking is the leading cause of house fires by a wide margin according to usfa.fema.gov. Using grease tends to make cooking even more dangerous. If you experience a grease fire, there are two main ways to resolve the situation. The first is to take away the oxygen. The only way fire can continue to burn is if it has access to oxygen. If you put a lid on the pot or pan that is on fire, the fire will begin to die. The second is to remove the heat source. This means to either move the pot or pan to an unlit burner or turn the burner off. DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, attempt to put the fire out using water. This picture demonstrates what a small grease fire can evolve to when water is used to extinguish.